CMCSS Facebook CMCSS Twitter CMCSS YouTube Channel Translate Webpage
Students and Parents banner

Frequently Asked Questions

Academies and Open Enrollment

Q: What are the Academies and Open Enrollment and how are they different?

A: A Career Academy is a school within a school aligned with a specific career or college preparatory theme. They are small learning communities where a select group of students with a common interest share the same teachers, allowing educators to collaborate with each other to coordinate lesson plans and instructional strategies.

Academies allow for work and problem-based learning opportunities, which improve student achievement by applying a hands-on element to supplement their coursework. Schools partner with local employers to help develop curriculums, provide guest speakers, and allow hands-on experience for students. Many career academies also provide internship opportunities in the field for upperclassmen.

Incoming high school freshmen have the opportunity to apply for a variety of career academies in the district. Due to the nature of academy courses, only incoming freshman will be able to join academies as each year builds on the courses taught the previous year.

The following is an overview of the career academies that are offered:
  • Academy of Business and Finance at Clarksville High
  • STEM Academy at Kenwood
  • Academy of Plant and Animal Systems at Montgomery Central
  • Academy of Computer and Game Programming Technology at Northeast
  • Academy of Health Science at Northwest
  • Academy of Media Arts and Technology at Rossview
  • Academy for Criminal Justice and Homeland Security at West Creek

  • Visit the Career Academies homepage

    Open Enrollment is a period early in the spring semester, which allows students to apply to attend schools outside of their zone. Availability is limited by school and grade level depending on the school’s capacity. Unlike the academies, open enrollment applicants will have a traditional school experience at the new school instead of being part of the small learning communities.

    View the CMCSS Open Enrollment Application

    Free and Reduced Lunch

    Q: Who qualifies for free and reduced lunch? How do I apply?

    A: Students may qualify for free or reduced meals based on federal policies and guidelines set by the USDA. All children in households receiving SNAP are eligible for free meals regardless of income. A SNAP case number must be included with the application. Also, your children are eligible for free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

    Your child may be eligible for reduced price meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart.

    Applications are sent home with every student at the beginning of each year or you can fill one out anytime online at Applications must be submitted every year to reassess eligibility.


    Q: My child is enrolling in the Fall. What immunizations are required?

    A: TN State Law requires proof of immunizations and a physical examination in order to attend school. Requirements vary based on the grade your child is entering. Please consult the following list for information pertinent to your child:

    Children enrolling in child care facilities, pre-school, pre-Kindergarten
    Infants entering child care facilities must be up to date at the time of enrollment and are required to provide an updated certificate after completing all of the required vaccines due by 18 months of age.

  • Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTaP, or DT if appropriate)
  • Poliomyelitis (IPV or OPV)
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (1 dose of each, usually given together as MMR)
  • Varicella (1 dose or history of disease)
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib) – age younger than 5 years only
  • Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) – age younger than 5 years only
  • Hepatitis A – 1 dose, required by 18 months of age or older

  • Children entering Kindergarten:
  • Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTaP, or DT if appropriate)
  • Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • Poliomyelitis (IPV or OPV): final dose on or after the 4th birthday now required Measles, Mumps, Rubella (2 doses of each, usually given together as MMR)
  • Varicella (2 doses or history of disease)
  • Hepatitis A (2 doses)

  • Children entering 7th grade:
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis booster (“Tdap”)
  • Verification of immunity to varicella (2 doses of vaccine or history of disease)

  • Children who are new enrollees in a TN school in grades other than K or 7th:
  • Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTaP, or DT if appropriate)
  • Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • Poliomyelitis (IPV or OPV): final dose on or after the 4th birthday now required
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (2 doses of each, usually given together as MMR)
  • Varicella (2 doses or history of disease)

  • Children with medical or religious exemption to requirements:
  • Medical – Physician or health department authorized to indicate specific vaccines medically exempted (because of risk of harm) on the new form. Other vaccines remain required.

  • Religious – Where a parent or guardian, or in the case of an adult student, the student, provides to the school a written statement, affirmed under penalties of perjury, that vaccination conflicts with the religious tenets and practices of the parent or guardian, or in the case of an adult student, the student.
  • Next school year calendar

    Q: When will the next school year calendar be available and how do I get one?

    A: Calendars are mailed to each student’s home at the end of July or early August. If for some reason you do not receive one, you may pick one up in the front office of the school or at the front desk of Central Office at 621 Gracey Ave. The School Board approves the calendar up to two years in advance. To look at calendar dates, go to:

    PowerSchool and SchoolMessenger

    Q: What are PowerSchool and SchoolMessenger and how do I use them?

    A: PowerSchool is the web-based information tool used across the district to allow students and parents to access grade and attendance information. Students are issued a PIN to access their account and parents can create an account and set up e-mail alerts to keep up with their student’s progress. Parents may add money to a student’s lunch money account via PowerSchool.

    SchoolMessenger is an automated phone messaging service used to notify parents of important events and school closures, as well as notifying parents or guardians if their child is absent from school on a given day. Calls will go to the number provided on the student’s emergency card so be sure to keep this information up to date. In the event of an emergency situation, the notification can be sent to all numbers provided (up to six).

    Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration

    Q: How do I register my child for Pre-K or Kindergarten?

    A: Pre-K classrooms are currently offered at 17 schools in the district: Barksdale, Byrns Darden, Cumberland Heights, Glenellen, Hazelwood, Kenwood, Liberty, Minglewood, Montgomery Central, Moore Magnet, Norman Smith, Northeast, Ringgold, Rossview, St. Bethlehem, West Creek, and Woodlawn Elementary Schools. For information about Pre-K programs and how to register your child, contact Theressa Powell at (931) 648-5653 ext. 1005 or

    Incoming Kindergartners will need the following documentation for registration: birth certificate, immunization records, and evidence of a complete medical exam. Other documentation may be requested by the school. According to the State Department of Education, children entering kindergarten shall be five (5) years of age on or before August 31 for the 2013-14 school year; and they must be five (5) years of age on or before August 15 for the 2014-15 school year.

    Kindergarten Kickoff is an opportunity for parents and incoming kindergarten students to visit the school, meet the teachers and staff, and introduce the new kindergarten class to their school environment. It is held at each Elementary School during the months of April and May. .

    Snow days and rain route

    Q: In cases of inclement weather, how will I know if schools are closed?

    A: We notify students and parents of schedule changes due to weather in a variety of ways. If schools are closed, delayed, or closing early, we will send a notification through SchoolMessenger. This alert will be sent to the number on the student’s emergency card so be sure to keep this information up to date. In the event of an emergency situation, the notification can be sent to all numbers provided (up to six).

    Information about changes due to weather can also be found on the homepage of This includes when buses are running rain or inclement weather routes as well as school closures. We also report closures and delays to the Clarksville and Nashville media.

    Student use of technology

    Q: What technology is available for student use?

    A: The Technology Department provides desktop computers for classroom use at each location, from Kindergarten to 12th grade. Students in the Elementary schools work on Macs, while the resources in the Middle and High Schools are typically Dell PCs. Software is provided and integrated with the classroom curriculum to help develop computer literacy at an early stage.

    Model classrooms can also be found in most schools, with expansion planned as allowed. This consists of document cameras and overhead projectors, lanyard microphones for instruction, and audio/video system.

    Students are also provided a district email address through Microsoft Office 365 to encourage collaboration and communication in their studies.

    School Supply List

    Q: Where can I find a school supply list for my child’s class?

    A: School supply lists vary by grade level and school. Please consult your school’s website for a current list of school supplies. Many retailers in the area will also have lists available during the weeks leading up to the first day of school. For elementary school students, please see form ELS-F033: Elementary School Supply List, 2015-2016.

    TCAP Testing

    Q: What are TCAP Tests?

    A: The Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program, TCAP, is a set of statewide assessments given in Tennessee measure students' skills and progress. Students in grades 3-8 take the assessment in the spring semester. Testing usually lasts for a week and covers all subject areas. End of Course assessments are conducted in various subjects at the high school level.

    Transcript Requests

    Q: How do I request a transcript?

    A: Visit to download and print the request for transcript form. This can be brought to CMCSS Central Office in person or mailed to:

    Clarksville-Montgomery County Board of Education
    Attn: Central Records
    621 Gracey Avenue
    Clarksville, TN 37040

    There is a $2 processing fee for each request, which can be paid through cash or money order, and a valid photo ID is required. If mailing your request, please include full name, date of birth, graduation year or last year attended, name of the last school you attended in the district, copy of valid ID, daytime phone number, name and address of college you would like the transcript sent to, and a signature with the current date. Transcripts are mailed out within 24 hours of receipt of request.

    Zoning and Bus Stop Locator

    Q: How do I know which school I am zoned for and where my bus stop is located?

    A: For information about zoning and bus stop locations, visit and input your address for a list of schools that you are zoned for as well as transportation information. If your child attends a school they are not zoned for due to Academy participation or open enrollment, transportation is not provided.