Human Resources


Our mission is to maximize the use of resources in support of student achievement.


Teaching Licenses and Alternative Pathways

If you are interested in becoming an educator but do not hold a teaching certification, CMCSS can help. Turn your passion into purpose by obtaining a job embedded license. Anyone with a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is eligible to apply.

The resources here are for current educators and those interested in becoming licensed to teach in Tennessee.

Interested in teaching for the 2024-25 school year?

If you already possess a TN Teaching License, you can see the available positions on our employment page. If you hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university, you may be eligible for a Job Embedded License. See below for requirements. Temporary permits for the 2024-25 school year have not yet been announced. 

What does a Job-Embedded License mean?

If you do not hold a teaching license but have a Bachelor’s degree and the desire to become a certified teacher, obtaining a job-embedded teaching license is an option. See the steps below for how to earn your job-embedded license. 

  • Step One: Enroll in an educator prep program through a university or a non-degree certificate program, such as iTeach.
  • Step Two: Complete and pass the Praxis that aligns with the content area you wish to teach. (Ex. If you wish to teach middle school science, you must take the Praxis for middle school science.)
  • Step Three: Once you have passed the Praxis, you are eligible for a job-embedded license! Speak with your program to determine how you will receive your Letter of Eligibility. (This may be referred to as an Intent to Hire letter or a Job-Embedded Eligibility letter.)
  • Step Four: At this point, you have the opportunity to apply for positions within your content area. Visit our employment page to see available positions.
  • Step Five: Once you are offered a position with CMCSS, you receive your job-embedded license. You will continue to work with your educator prep program and CMCSS until you complete the program. 

Four Items Required to Upload with Your Application: 

  1. Resume
  2. Transcripts from your regionally accredited university 
  3. Letter of Eligibility (see above)
  4. Confirmation of your Praxis scores. (Must show a passing score.)
The two links below are examples of Educator Prep Programs that are available.

JROTC Instructors (Retired Military)

Veterans and military retirees may be eligible to serve as JROTC instructors at one of our eight traditional high schools.

Out-of-State Licenses

This information below is for educators who hold teaching or other education-related credentials in a state other than Tennessee and are interested in becoming licensed in the state of Tennessee.

Types of Licenses

  • Practitioner Teacher – 1st Issuance
  • Professional – 6 year
  • Practitioner School Service 1st Issuance
  • Professional School Service – 6 Year
  • ILL-A Aspiring Administrator
  • ILL Administrator

Temporary Teaching Permit

Temporary teaching permits are available to anyone holding a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. The undergraduate degree does not have to be in education to meet permit requirements. Temporary Teaching Permits are only available for the remainder of the 2023-24 school year.

Permits for the current school year are not allowed for Pre-K, elementary PE, special education, school counseling, or end-of-course assessment classes such as Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Integrated Math II and III, Biology, English I and II, US History, and Geography.

How to Apply

Review available positions on our employment page. Submit your application. In the requirement for certification, upload a Word doc with the following statement: 

I understand I do not currently hold TN teaching credentials and would like to apply on the basis of permit eligibility. I understand employment on a permit is for one year only, and I will be expected to transition to a job-embedded license or full license by March 1 of the academic year. 

Once your application is approved, you will be eligible for an interview. If you are offered a position, the district will apply for the one-year permit on your behalf. If you are hired for employment, and the district applies for a one-year permit, you will be expected to pursue a job-embedded license, which includes enrolling in an eligible educator prep program and taking any required assessments by March 1 of the academic year. 

To Apply

Contact Sabrina Wasan with questions at [email protected].