Inclement Weather Make Up Plan for 2017-18 Decided
July 20, 2017
- The first five days missed by students will not be made up and will come from stockpiled student days
- The sixth day missed and subsequent days will be made up as available:
- January 2, 2018 (staff development day)
- February 19, 2018 (Presidents Day)
- Early release day on March 2, 2018 will be converted to a full day with thirty minutes added to eight additional school days to equal one day.
- Thirty minutes added to thirteen days not to infringe upon the state testing window to account for one make-up day
- Make up for days missed beyond this plan will be determined as circumstances require.
* This make-up plan applies to missed student days. Teachers will be allowed three days
missed due to inclement weather without making them up.
How Stockpile Days Work
From year to year, parents, staff, community and media request explanation of what a stockpile day is and how they work.
The law allows for 13 days to be stockpiled by students. Students stockpile days by going 30 extra minutes each day. Teachers do not stockpile days. The district chose years ago, with input from teachers and administrators, to use four of the stockpiled days as staff development which left nine student stockpiled days. A few years ago, again with teacher and administrator input, three early release days were added. This accounts for one more day to be subtracted from the nine which then leaves eight days from the 13.
The Board will forgive five days of the eight for students. Subsequent days would need to be approved by the Board for makeup or not.
It is prudent to make up the lost days as teachers have stated that they never have enough time with the students. Making the days up gives more time for teacher and student interaction and addresses the teachers¹ concern of time with students. Student achievement is impacted by student-teacher interaction.
In years past, we have made up days in a variety of ways and usually, that was dependent upon how many were lost and the time of year the inclement weather occurred. Other school districts do make up the days, but they may not make up all of them and may not have the days allotted for staff development.