District News


Our mission is to maximize the use of resources in support of student achievement.


FAFSA Help is Available

November 21, 2013

Please note: This article was originally published on 11/21/2013. Information and/or dates from past events may be not be relevant for the current school year.

As high school seniors prepare for college, parents face the somewhat intimidating paper chase, known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The U.S. Department of Education begins accepting the application beginning January 1 of each year for the upcoming academic year. Each application period is 18 months; most federal, state, and institutional aid is provided on a first come, first served basis. Tennessee is one of six states in the country that awards state grants (the HOPE Scholarship) on a first-come, first-served basis until the money runs out.

High School counselors will be helping parents navigate the form throughout December and January.


The schools and dates are as follows:

CHS – all day on Jan. 30 as FAFSA Completion day.  Parents can come in at any time if they need help with their FAFSA.


KHS – Dec 2, 6 p.m., KHS Theater


MCHS – a FAFSA help session for parents Jan. 21 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.


Middle College – Jan 8, 10 a.m., info session by Donna Price, APSU Director of Financial Aid, Clement Auditorium.

Feb. 1 FAFSA Completion Day, Marks Bldg Room 206 – individual appointments from 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.


NEHS – Dec. 12 – info session in the LGI room.

Jan. 15 FAFSA help session for parents


NWHS – Dec. 10 – Senior Financial Aide Information

Jan. 28 – FAFSA completion help session

April 1 – Junior Financial Aide Information session


RHS – FAFSA help for parents Jan. 30, 6 p.m., Front Lecture Room


WCHS – Jan. 15, 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. – James Snyder will be at WCHS to assist parents with completing their student’s FAFSA.


To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:

?   Your Social Security Number

?   Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

?   Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)

?   Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)

?   Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

?   A Federal Student Aid PIN to sign electronically. (If you do not already have one, visit www.pin.ed.gov to obtain one.)

If you are a dependent student, then you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).

For more information about FAFSA, go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help.htm