Open Enrollment Through Feb. 21
January 23, 2014
Please note: This article was originally published on 1/23/2014. Information and/or dates from past events may be not be relevant for the current school year.
Each year, CMCSS offers open enrollment for schools that have capacity within specified grades. Those schools and grades include:
BARKSDALE – K, 1st, 3rd
BURT – 5th
CARMEL – K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
CUMBERLAND HEIGHTS – K, 1st, 5th
EAST MONTGOMERY – K, 1st
MONTGOMERY CENTRAL ELEMENTARY – K, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th
MOORE – K, 1st, 2nd
NORMAN SMITH – 1st
RINGGOLD – 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th
SANGO – K, 1st, 5th
WEST CREEK – K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
WOODLAWN – K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
KENWOOD – 6th, 7th, 8th
MONTGOMERY CENTRAL MIDDLE – 6th, 8th
NEW PROVIDENCE MIDDLE – 6th, 8th
RICHVIEW MIDDLE – 7th, 8th
For the Open Enrollment form, go to:
CMCSS OPEN ENROLLMENT POLICY
The Clarksville-Montgomery County School System (CMCSS) believes in meeting the needs of students with a focus on student achievement. The Clarksville-Montgomery County School System also believes parent involvement and being a partner in student achievement is critical to a student’s success. The Clarksville-Montgomery County School System has developed a limited open enrollment policy for students who wish to attend a school or program outside the area for which they are zoned.
Attendance Zone Exceptions
Attendance zone exceptions shall be limited by space including program space availability in the receiving school. Ethnicity, gender, grade level balances will be considered. School and program capacity will be utilized to determine if space is available for additional students.
One or more of the following factors determine program capacity: program enrollment, classroom availability, other programs housed within the school facility, and demographic considerations. The Director of Schools will designate a central administrator to determine the school/program capacity on an annual basis.
CMCSS will not be able to provide transportation to a school outside the regular attendance zone.
Extracurricular Activity Involvement
Students approved to attend a school outside of their attendance zone shall have the same curricular and extracurricular status (review varsity sports participation) as other students attending the school. Varsity Sport Participation – Students who plan to or have participated in athletics in the zoned or non-zoned high school should review the TSSAA rules regarding transfers (www.tssaa.org). Certain transfers will lead to a student being ineligible to play at the varsity level.
A student’s behavior will be considered when determining a student’s enrollment in a school outside their attendance zone. CMCSS also reserves the right to remove a student at any time from the school in which they are enrolled outside of their attendance zone because of unacceptable behavior.
The parent or legal guardian must make a commitment that the student will attend the non- zoned school for the complete school year and obey all school policies, regulations, and procedures.
Preventing or Recruiting Open Enrollment Students
CMCSS will take no action to prohibit or prevent application by its students to attend a non- zoned school within the school district. CMCSS employees shall not recruit students outside of their school zone.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL PROCESS
- If you are interested in having your child attend one of the schools listed for open enrollment outside your zoned area, applications are available at any elementary school in the CMCSS, on the Web site (cmcss.net), and at the Central Administration Office. Applications will be accepted from January 24, 2014, through February 21, 2014. The applications must be submitted to the CMCSS Director of Student Services located at 621 Gracey Avenue, Clarksville, TN 37040. (Transportation to the school outside your child’s zoned area will not be provided by CMCSS.)
Eligible applicants at each grade level will be placed at their requested non-zoned school provided the school has available capacity. If there are more applicants than the school capacity availability, applicants will be selected by a lottery drawing.
- APPROVAL PROCESS
- Applications will be considered based on the factors stated in the CMCSS Board Attendance Zone Exceptions and Program Capacity policy.
Students who attended a non-zoned school the previous year will be given preference for enrolling the following year, providing there is program capacity. Siblings will be given preference for enrolling in the non-zoned school where their brother or sister is attending.
- The CMCSS Director of Student Services will adhere to the timeline as stated below to ensure the approval process is completed within the designated timeframe.
- Director’s Designee determines school program capacity – December, 2013.
- Applications submitted – January 24, 2014 – February 21, 2014.
- CMCSS Director of Student Services reviews applications for accuracy – January – February, 2014.
- Committee reviews applications – February, 2014.
- Decision to approve or deny applications – February, 2014.
- Confirmation of parent and student commitment to enrollment in non-zoned school – March, 2014.
- NOTE: The District reserves the right to remove or refuse a student enrollment due to false or misleading information on the application.
- *Open Enrollment may be revoked due to excessive tardiness, absenteeism or misconduct.